Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Slow Cooked Chicken Cacciatore

I might be the craziest person in the world, or just about the only person who has never used the crock pot! So I got one (a crock pot) last winter and used it... once.  Does it makes sense that I am more nervous to use the crock pot than to make it all separately?  Well, I am determined this winter to get my self acquainted with the crock pot.  I remember in college at my first student teaching placement every teacher said, "you better learn how to use a crock pot".  I am hoping this will help me in the future have warm, tasty meals after a long days work.  I am also determined that next school year I will have my own classroom :)


The Wegmans magazine sparked my interest in trying out this recipe tonight.  In the Fall 2010 issue, there is a slow cooked chicken cacciatore recipe.  I followed it exactly, except I did not add mushrooms and used my own sauce.   The meal was good...not great.  The chicken breasts were moist and fell right off the bone, but did not really soak up the flavors and was kind of bland.  :( Help!
Before
After 3 1/2 hours in crock pot.


2 Chicken Breasts
green pepper
onion
tomato sauce (I used my homemade sauce)
garlic
1 cup dry red wine
flour
salt and pepper


Flour, salt and pepper chicken breasts.  Brown both sides.  Put in crock pot.  In same pan add peppers, onions and garlic, saute until soft.  Add wine and sauce.  Heat through.  Add mixture to crock pot.  Cook for 3 1/2 hours on high.  Enjoy over pasta.


Have you tried this recipe?  Did you like it?  If you have any good crock pot recipes let me know!  I am hoping to get to know my crock pot this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment