Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes!


So as I started reading more blogs, I realized I was intrigued by all the pictures of the beautiful foods!  As I am starting this blog, I am starting to get the hang of it and realize that if I don't enjoy reading cookbooks or blogs without pictures, everyone reading this must feel the same!
------------------------------------------------------
The perfect bite!
Tomatoes Galore!  
My garden is producing many tomatoes, but since the chipmunks are getting a hold of them (only the juicy ripe red tomatoes of course) I have a few green tomatoes that just don't want to ripen.   About 2 years ago, my husband and I vacationed in Charleston, SC and we ate VERY well, amongst the shrimp and grits, we also tried fried green tomatoes for the first time.  I fell in love. As I looked at my green tomatoes, I knew exactly what I was going to make with them!  Here it goes...

Fried Green Tomatoes for 2:   
The breading and Frying of the Green Tomatoes!  

2 Green Tomatoes
3/4 cup flour
1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg
2 Tb milk
1 tsp. paprika
1-2 tsp. hot sauce
garlic powder
salt and pepper
Bowl 1: Mix flour, garlic salt, paprika, pepper, salt
Bowl 2: Mix egg, milk and hot sauce
Bowl 3: Unseasoned breadcrumbs
Directions:
Slice the tomatoes in think slices, dip in four, then egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, fry!


Fried Green Tomatoes with Shrimp
Shrimp saute:
16 small peeled and deveined shrimp
2-3 tbs.olive oil
2 garlic cloves; finely chopped
2-3 tbs soy sauce
juice of 1/2 large lemon
pinch of hot pepper flakes
pinch of paprika
Directions:
Mix all ingredients and marinate for up to 1 hour. In a pan, saute until shrimp is pink on both sides.   Pour sauce and shrimp over fried green tomatoes.  Eat up!



OR



Fried Green Tomatoes with sun dried tomatoes, artichokes and goat cheese 
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes 
1 can imported artichokes; quartered 
1-2 cloves of garlic; chopped 
1 Tb olive oil 
salt & pepper 
soft unripened crumbled goat cheese 
(everything is better with a little cheese!) 
1/2 cup heavy cream 
Directions: 
Sauté olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Add sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes. Cook for about 5 min. Add cream, once bubbling a little, reduce heat and add goat cheese, mix together and serve over fried green tomatoes! 
ENJOY :)



No comments:

Post a Comment